Friday, December 12, 2008

What are the Odds?

Well this is the first time I'm putting 2 posts on the same day. What are the odds of that happening again? Very slim. I am so bored at work, I closed my eclipse workspace as soon as I opened it. TGIF. Well this is not the odds that I wanted to talk about.

Odds in life. Which is way more important. If you have ever read Paulo Coehlo's The Alchemist, you will definitely start to believe in the concept of destiny (if you don't do so already). Well the concept of destiny is that, if something is stated to happen, it will, no matter what you do.

In my own life, the things I am most sure about are my ravenous appetite (I don’t remember the last time I ate less than five meals in a day), my addiction to TV series (I see everything from FRIENDS, PB, Lost, 24, Heroes, House, Scrubs, Numb3rs...) and many more.

Yet despite my faith that this stuff won’t change tomorrow or the next day, there’s a chance it might. Perhaps I’ll get sick and won’t want to eat; perhaps there will be a bigger strike in US, and they stop airing the serials.

Nothing’s for certain – not my appetite, not your on-time payment of taxes, and not even, according to some physicists, death. Everything in life – including the chance we will find great friendships and relationships – is an odds game!

Recognizing that anything is possible in our lives can be inspiring – hey, Miss India might walk into your bedroom in a bikini tonight. Or it can be discouraging – it’s more likely that you’ll be robbed at gunpoint or beaten up where you bruise like a peach.

Luckily, if we want something badly enough, life oftentimes gives us the opportunity to increase the odds of making it happen. For instance, if you really want Miss India in your bedroom, you can work off that pot belly, become a celebrity photographer, and get commissioned to do a shoot for her (which you bashfully suggest should happen in your bedroom ;-)).

Yes, it’s crapshoot that we’ll ever find the people we’re looking for in life – whether they are our soul mates (some of us deserve more than one :-P) or a job you like or just the peace that has been absent in your life for sometime now. But the probabilities of making these connections can be significantly enhanced or diminished depending on how we go about doing it.

No comments:

HITS SINCE JAN 10th 2009 Hit Counters