Monday, July 7, 2008

An epic battle!

What everyone witnessed yesterday was not just another tennis match, but a battle between two supreme athletes. The winning glory went to the fiery Spaniard RAFA, and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this was the best match that I had witnessed in 15 years of tennis viewing. I have without doubt seen some great matches (Pete vs Borris, Aggasi vs Pete, Lendle vs Edberg etc..), but what these two warriors displayed yesterday in the gloomy evening of London, was a bright light for the game of tennis. I have been a strong supporter of RF, more because of his type of play (I have always liked the elegant players like Pete, Borris, Edberg, RF), but I was actually happy yesterday that RAFA won the match. It was a truly deserved victory. I could not help but feel that the mantle had been passed on by RF. I am sure he will come back stronger than ever, but I won't be surprised if he quits by the end of season. It was Borg vs McEnroe all over again! RF has lost his edge, the killing instinct(he had converted 1 out of 13 break points!!) when he plays against RAFA. Although he claims the humiliating defeat in Paris was all in the past, I could not help but speculate that, that defeat was haunting him. And it will continue to haunt him. RAFA has now a firm grip over RF. And with the advent of Djokovic, it will be a 3 way battle for the #1 spot. Truely amazing sport!

No comments:

HITS SINCE JAN 10th 2009 Hit Counters