Sunday, February 15, 2009

SCMHRD - My first Interview

This was my first call for the 'Season - 08'. So it always carried that extra emotional value. I had absolutely no preparation for this interview. But I guess it went pretty well. So let me rewind to yesterday morning 02:45 AM.

My alarm rings. The snooze does not work, and I'm already behind schedule by 15 mins. Yet I take my own time to get ready. I have a bus to catch at 04:00 AM. I finish my bath at 03:45 AM. I finish polishing my shoes at 03:55 AM. I reach the bus stop a 04:00 AM dot. The bus ride to airport is uneventful and I drift off intermittently. We arrive at the bus stop at 05:10 AM. I'm behind schedule by 10 mins, but feel confident of making the 06:00 AM flight. Damn sad, the airport staff has introduced User Tax for even domestic fliers. End up paying Rs 260/- with grudge. I take my boarding pass and since I dint have any check-in luggage, I proceed to the security check. Shock of my life awaits me there. The queue is bigger than "Hanumantana baala". 05:55 AM. Still 3 people in front of me and the 'Final Call' for boarding has been on since past 5 mins. 3 minutes later, I pass the security check, but sadly my bag is withheld. Apparently my 3/4ths empty deodorant was more than 100ml to them. I give up fighting with them and run to Gate 1. I am the last passenger getting into the plane. The doors are immediately closed behind me. The time is 06:03 AM. The flight was awesome. Kingfisher lived up to its name. Better than most of the international flight's service. The food was 'acceptable' in normal standards and 'luxury' in flight standards. The flight attendants were hotter than I had imagined. They were uber hot in their red coats. Looked as though they had walked straight off the ramp.

Flight is on schedule and I reach Pune at 07:20 AM. I take a prepaid auto to International Convention Center (end up paying Rs 180/- to the auto. Ridiculously costly they are). I call back home reporting my safe journey. I call Bala and ask him to check my train reservation status (I was on Waiting List and was really concerned). Unfortunately the W/L has not moved :-(. I proceed to the Symbiosis Auditorium (it is actually TATA auditorium). I loaf around a bit. Have to kill time till 3 PM. I find the CCD sofa's comfortable. I settle down there and order stuff to eat. I take a leisurely 3 hours to finish a cake and a cold coffee. Mean time I prepare for the typical interview questions. I make points for questions like: 'Why MBA?', 'Which specialization?' etc.. I yawned a lot during this time :-O Still half asleep I went to another Coffee bar on the 9th floor. Ordered more coffee, and read a novel (more on that later). Some how I manage to kill time till 2 PM. I enter the auditorium for GD/PI registration. My first encounter with the "possible" seniors. They immediately appear friendly, ready to help. I also get the feeling that everything has been organized really well. There is no commotion and the entire process is smooth. 3 PM sharp they call my name. I finish the registration process, and the first year students are questioned by us. I in particular questioned them a lot, as I had heard conflicting views on the college. They manage to give convincing and honest answers to almost all the questions. I am taken to the 5th floor, where my GD and PI would take place.

The place looked posh. There were 4 others in my group for GD. We make small talk, and I learn that everyone has experience for at least 1.5 years. 5 mins later, we are led into the GD room. We are greeted by 2 people whom I'll refer to as P1 and P2.

P1 - is pretty old, may be in his 60's. He has a half sleeve shirt. He was wearing slippers. He looked very informal and definitely a professor of SCMHRD.
P2 - is very formal. He was wearing a suit and looked like someone from the industry.
P1 - gives us the rules for the GD. It would be a case study. 5 mins to read the case study. 20 mins to discuss it and the last 5 mins to arrive at a consensus. 20 mins with 5 people in the GD - I was sure this would never end up as a fish market. And I knew all of them could air their views. So I thought there would be no brownie points for starting the GD.

GD Case Study :
It is about a Retail company which has entered the market recently. It had really high hopes given the success of the Retail industry in India. But it now sees that it has faced losses. And it goes about to find out the factors leading to the loss. There were around 9-10 factors listed with a small brief of its impact. We as a team had to discuss each point and finally we had to rank them according to their impact value and reach a consensus on the top three factors that affected the company. Some of the factors that were listed were :
  • Lack of infrastructure like power, transport, communication
  • Supply Chain is fragmented
  • Grey market is blooming
  • Lack of skilled manpower
  • No Government incentive which results in tougher laws to survive
  • Competition
  • Transportation problems concerning storage and transportation of perishable goods etc..
The GD discussion went on smoothly. As I had thought there was no fish market situation. On the contrary there were certain silent moments where no one spoke. It was quite awkward. But the 20 mins was a breeze. P1 then reminded us that there was 5 mins left and we still had to rank and reach a consensus on the top 3 factors. Surprisingly we all agreed on the top 3. I felt that my top 3 was the groups top 3 as well. So was pretty happy with it. I also had put couple of good points in the GD and managed to bring the GD back to track once, when it had steered out of course. We picked Lack of Infrastructure, Government incentives and Supply chain being fragmented as the top 3 factors. We were asked to hand back the notepad page where we were scribbling some points and also the case study page.

Once we were out of the room, we were made to wait in the "PI waiting room". Here we were flocked by first year students who gave a lot of 'gyan' and also were sweet enough to share their experiences, the market scenario and placements, college and hostel life etc.. There was a board on which our ID's were projected. It basically showed which Panel we would be going to (there were 8 panels and each candidate was preassigned to a panel as per his/her qualification) and how many were ahead of us. It was a relaxing waiting time.

Then the moment came when my number started flashing. A senior (a hot one at that! --well most of them were hot ;-)) asked me to follow her into the room. Following is the transcript (which i remember) of the interview. There were again 2 panel member. Both of them in their early 30's. Lets call them P1 and P2 and myself as M. I'll be putting my inner thoughts in italics

M : Good Morning!! (wtf! its 5 PM)
M : Good Afternoon Sir (Thankfully they dint notice my initial greetings. They were busy eating cookies and having tea)
P1 to the hot senior : How many more for the day? I am tired! (Not a good sign. An agitated interviewer)
Hot senior : Only couple of them after this Sir. Can I get you anything? (She gets no reply for this offer. I mentally pity her. She gives me a cute smile, indicating I'm in for some hammering today and leaves)
P2 : Please sit (Yes, I was still standing)
M : Thank you Sir (Now P1 and P2 are engrossed in my CV. They take around 20 secs to go through it. There is complete silence in the 6X6 room)
P1 : So you are from Visveswaraya Technological University? Where is it?
M : It is in Karnataka Sir. I studied in BMS College which is affiliated to it.
P1 : What was the selection criteria for this? What test did you take?
M : We had a Common Entrance Test. Based on the rank, we could pick the college and stream of our choice. (He does not seem impressed with my university for some reason. Neither would I have been impressed with it :-))
P1 : So what rank did you get in this test? And was your college the best college in the university?
M : I got a rank of 909 Sir. And of course my college and my department was the best. among the lot (I give him a big grin)
P1 : (Suddenly concerned) Why so less marks in SNAP? (He munches on another cookie. This makes me feel hungry. I almost missed this question, thinking how good the cookie must taste)
M : (I start to blabber) blah blah
P1 : What is your revised marks? (Yes, SNAP came with revised marks, after every person I knew of got at least 10-20 marks less than expected. In the revised marks I got 8.75 marks more)
M : I tell him
P1 : That is better. So you are working in IBM? Are you bored with your work already?
M : Definitely not Sir. I can't get more of my work. It is very interesting, as I work on technologies of tomorrow. Also I have an amazing team.
P1 : You are getting a very good package. Why do you want to leave it and come here.?Even I can't guarantee you to get this package after your MBA.
M : According to me Sir, anything in life is a risk. But I am willing to take this risk, after considering it deeply. I believe a MBA from SCMHRD is a safe bet.
P1 : 'Are common re'. Tell me properly. In this time of recession why are you leaving? Is your job safe? Or are you already laid-off?
M : No Sir. Our company is doing very well. And with my performance in the past 1.5 years, I consider my job to be safe and sound (I am actually laughing my ass off now... in my mind :-P)
P2 : (Speaks for the first time!!)So will you still do a MBA, if I assure you that the recession will stay for two more years?
M : (With all earnest) According to me Sir, If there is recession for 2 more years, then my job is definitely not safe. So is the jobs of thousands of others like me. So I feel during that time it is better to be applying for new jobs with a MBA from SCMHRD rather than just a BE. (voohoo... I am impressed the way I answered that impromptu. And seeing P2 with a raised eyebrow, I think he too was impressed with it)
P2 : So you are firm on doing a MBA? What if you don't get through this year?
M : I'll come back the next year, and the year after that too, if that is what it takes for me to study in SCMHRD (I am in full swing now)
P1 : Ok, so can you sing for us? (I am shocked!!??!!)
M : I am a very bad singer Sir. However I can play flute pretty well.
P1 : So can you show your flute skill now?
M : I haven't got my flute here Sir. But if you can provide me a flute, I am sure I can entertain you (I smirk at him and he smiles)
P2 : Tell me more about your work? What do you actually do?
M : (I talked about Web 2.0, my work as a developer and a L3 support resource)
P2 : (Looks into my CV again where I had written --"Working in IBM India Software Labs has given me invaluable exposure into the management skills required to run such a huge organization. This experience has also highlighted my naive understanding of the complex aspects of Business Administration") So what is such a invaluable experience in 1.5 years? How naive is your naive understanding?
M : (I am taken aback a bit, I talk about my work, how my manager has inspired me and stuff. And how they handle client calls and all. He seemed satisfied with my answer)
P2 : Which specialization do you want to pursue?
M : At the moment, I would go for Marketing Sir. But of course I am open to change. I will probably be well guided and informed by teachers and seniors about my strengths.
P1 : Which other calls have you got?
M : I have got a call from NMIMS
P2 : Which will you pick if you get calls from both?
M : Of course I will pick SCMHRD (At this point P2 notes down my points in his folder. I try to seek a peak into the folder, but he hides it pretty well)
P1: Why?
M : Apart from the obvious reason that SCMHRD is better than NMIMS, I like Pune city more than Mumbai city. Also I have come to understand that SCMHRD has a better campus life than NMIMS. And as far as I know, MBA is all about building contacts and for that to happen the campus plays a huge role.
P1 : Do you have any questions for us?
M : (I don't know why, I started laughing doh!) I can't think of anything at this moment Sir.
P1 : Common think, there is still time left in this interview!
M : (After trying to think for 20 secs I could only come up with) Sir, I can only talk more about myself. (Till now, I don't know why I said that!!)
P2 : (Looks suspiciously at me) Ok, tell more about yourself.
M : (I blurt out stuff) blah blah
P1 : Ok Madhu, Thanks for coming. We will get back to you.
M : Thank you! Have a nice day.

After that I met a super nice senior Roshan. He is also from Bangalore, and I think he was happy to speak in Kannada again. I get to know a lot from him. I call Bala again at 6:30 PM only to learn that my W/L has not cleared. I get a bit worried. But with Roshan's help, I manage to find a VRL dealer and book a sleeper coach bus. The bus is pretty much on time. I leave Pune at 9:15 PM. I watched a couple of FRIENDS episodes on Srinath's ipod. Had dinner and slept blissfully. I got up at 9:00AM the next day. Continued reading the novel "How Opal Mehta Got Kissed Got Wild and Got a Life"(will write a review on this book shortly:-)). I finished the novel by 1.30 PM. I was back home by 2:30 PM.

PS : If Roshan is reading this, I still can't believe that someone will go so much out of the way to help a stranger. All you guys in SCMHRD were super helpful. Thanks Guys. You rock. Hoping to see you again ;-)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

amazing experience dude ...first step into the world of B-Schools ...experience to savour

Sathish said...

Cool maga....
When is your NMIMS interview?

I am Madhu said...

@adi : it was more than just experience dude. it was totally awesome.

@sathish : it is on 28th feb.

Sri!!! said...

Did reading "Opal Mehta" inspire you to write a post in such fashion??

You have described your interview similarly to how Opal describes her interview...

Sri.

I am Madhu said...

illa maga... it is general way of describing a interview. might have been biased by lot of other such blogs, or might have been influenced by the book... but thinking of it, the author too could have been inspired by lot of such blogs ;-)

madhu said...

super blog dude.. very engrossing...

HITS SINCE JAN 10th 2009 Hit Counters